Jamie McCallum grew up on a cattle ranch just south of Brandon, Manitoba. Her early years on the farm have always been a source of inspiration and her love of animals and the vast prairie landscape are often reflected in the subject matter of her work.
Jamie was formally trained in North Dakota where she received a degree in graphic design. After graduating, she ventured to Minnesota where she continued to build on her knowledge and love of art throughout her career. Whether it was graphic design, photography, art & framing galleries, or many years in the beauty industry – her experiences have all contributed to her abilities and helped hone her eye for composition, color, and balance.
Her desire to paint has always been present and taking brave steps toward an art career have been a long time coming. Painting and creating are true passions for Jamie, and after returning to Canada in 2013 she has been afforded the opportunity to finally follow this dream. Her work is contemporary, gestural, and celebrates a broad subject range full of whimsy and humanity. Jamie pushes proportions to evoke mood and curiosity and utilizes the power of color and texture to further extend these boundaries.
Jamie currently divides her time between Fernie BC, where she paints alongside long-time friend and mentor Canadian Artist Angela Morgan, and Brandon, MB where her family resides.
“My work is a reflection of my inner spirit and the journey of my creative purpose. It speaks of my return back to Canada, the farm girl I have always been, and the Prairies that called me back home.”
- September 2014 “Out from the prairie and into the woods” shared exhibition with Tara Higgins, Angela Morgan Studio Fernie, BC
- July 2016 Wasagaming Community Art Gallery shared exhibition with Janet Shaw-Russell Riding Mountain National Park, Manitoba.
- August 2016 Poor Michael’s Emporium Patio Show with Tracey Kucheravy Onanole, Manitoba.
- October 2016 Celebrating creativity and community solo show Hosted by Denise and Mike Zaporzan Winnipeg, Manitoba
- December 2016 Holiday show Hosted by Tanja Moxley & Craig Shenher Cochrane, Alberta
- March 2017 “The Back Story” shared exhibit with Angela Morgan & Michael Hepher, Angela Morgan Studio Fernie, BC